Beef Mince Pie
Serves: 4 – 6, prep and cooking time: 35 mins
1kg beef mince (wagyu mince makes a nice pie)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, finely diced
2 tbsp plain flour
1 cup beef stock
125 ml tomato sauce
4 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp vegemite
1 sheet shortcrust pastry, thawed, for base
1 sheet butter puff pastry, thawed, for pie top
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees
2. Grease a pie dish and place shortcrust sheet of pastry into bottom of dish. Blind bake for approximately 10 minutes.
3. Heat oil in large fry pan over medium heat and cook onion until softened.
4. Add mince and cook until browned.
5. In a bowl mix flour with stock until smooth and then add sauces, vegemite and mix.
6. Pour flour mixture into beef and simmer gently for 10 minutes until mixture has thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Pour beef mixture into part cooked pie base and cover using other sheet of pastry. Press edges of pastry together. Pierce top sheet once with a fork.
8. Lightly brush top sheet of pastry with egg wash and bake in oven until crisp, golden and puffed.
You can add vegetables (ie. Peas, corn, small pieces diced potato) to this beef mince mixture for a more nutritious pie.