Pea and Ham Soup
290g (1 1/3 cups) green split peas
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 carrots, peeled, chopped
1 brown onion, sliced
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 ham hocks
1.5 litres water
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Rinse split peas under cold running water until water runs clear. Drain.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add carrot, onion and garlic and cook, stirring until onion softens
- Add split peas, ham hock and water. Bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 2 – 2 1/2 hours or until ham hocks are tender and the meat is falling away from the bones. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- Remove ham hocks from pan. Remove the meat from bones. Coarsely chop meat and set aside.
- Using a stick blender or food processor process pea mixture until smooth.
- Return to pan with ham. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Stir over medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until hot.