Crispy Pork Belly, Brown Butter Sweet Potato, Cabbage and Cider Jus
500g pork belly – click here to order your pork belly
100g savoy cabbage – chopped
1 sweet potato – roughly chopped
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp brown sugar
2 knobs butter
50ml water or chicken stock
200ml chicken stock
½ onion – roughly chopped
1 tsp grated ginger
1 garlic clove – chopped
2 sprigs thyme
1 star anise
1 bay leaf
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp cider vinegar
2 tbsp butter
1. Score skin of pork in a criss cross fashion at 1cm intervals.
2. Rub skin with a generous amount of salt and leave in the fridge over night and up to 48hrs.
3. When ready to cook, wipe skin with paper towel to remove salt & excess moisture.
4. Rub with 1 tsp olive oil and a generous amount of salt.
5. Place in oven @ 220c for 30 minutes and then cook for 25 minutes @ 170c.
6. Leave rest for 10 minutes before serving.
1. Place sweet potatoes on baking tray.
2. Heat butter in frying pan on medium heat until it froths up and starts to turn brown. Remove from the heat and add the cinnamon & sugar to butter.
3. Pour over sweet potatoes and mix well. Bake sweet potatoes @ 180c for approx. 20mins or until soft.
4. Place sweet potatoes, salt, pepper and a little butter in blender and add 50ml of water or vegetable stock. Blend until smooth adding more water/seasoning of necessary.
1. Place all ingredients into sauce pan EXCEPT BUTTER and simmer until reduced by half (approx. 20 minutes).
2. Strain through sieve pressing all the liquids from solid ingredients.
3. Return to heat, whisk in the butter and reduce until about ½ cup of liquid remains
1. Fry in pan with a splash of oil, salt & pepper for a couple minutes.
*when cooking pork belly always dry the skin as best as possible so leaving overnight/24hrs in fridge is best*
**if using a larger piece of belly use the rule of 30mins @ 220c and then 25mins @ 170c per 500g**