Curried Lamb Shank
2 lamb shanks
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 coconut cream
200ml chicken stock
1 red onion – sliced
1 tbsp olive oil
1 can chickpeas
2 ears corn or 1/2 cup frozen corn
coriander – granish
spring onions – garnish
1/2 tsp chili powder
4 garlic cloves – crushed
1 tsp garam masala
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp turmeric
2 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cardamom
1 tbsp tomato paste
3 tsp ginger – grated
25ml olive oil
1 red onion – diced
1. Make curry paste by placing all the ingredients in a food processor and blending to a paste
2. Oil & season lamb shanks and sear on a high heat in pot/pan until golden brown – approx 5 mins.
3. Remove shanks, reduce heat to medium and add onions to pan. Cook until golden brown. 3 – 5 mins
4. Add curry paste and cook for a couple mins.
5. Add coconut milk, chopped tomatoes & stock and bring to a simmer. Add in shanks.
6. Cover with a lid and cook for 3hrs in oven @ 160c until lamb shanks are falling off the bone.
7. Stir in chickpeas & corn and cook for a further 3-5 mins.
8. Sprinkle with coriander & spring onions and serve with some naan bread.
*feel free to use different veg in the curry if you like – things like broccoli or cauliflower will work well too*
**once cooked the curry may require some of the oil to be removed. Do so using a spoon once the curry has been removed from the oven before you add the vegetables**
***this dish can be made in advance and reheated. If doing so then don’t add the vegetables in until reheating. Reheat curry in oven @ 160c for approx 30 mins***