Osso Bucco in a porcini mushroom & marsala sauce
4 ossobucco – approx 1kg in total
4 thyme sprigs
4 garlic cloves – crushed
1 white onion – sliced
12 swiss brown mushrooms
1 cup mushroom stock – see tip
50g dried porcini mushrooms – see tip
1/2 cup marsala wine
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp olive oil
1. Season & flour the ossobucco. Sear on a high heat until golden brown – approx 5 mins. Remove from pan.
2. Reduce the heat and add onions & garlic to pan.
3. After a couple mins deglaze the pan with marsala wine
4. Add stock, thyme & bayleaf and bring to a simmer
5. Add mushrooms and ossobucco back to the pan.
6. Cover and cook in oven at 160c for 1.5-2hrs *see tip*
7. Once cooked, remove ossobucco from pan and cover with foil to keep warm.
8. Add cream to pan and cook on medium heat for about 10 mins.
9. If sauce is too thin then thicken it up *see tip*
10. Serve with some mash potatoes and asparagus
*to thicken the sauce do so by mixing 1 tsp corn starch to 3 tsp water and stir in OR make a roux using 1 tsp flour with 2 tsp softened butter and stir in*
**make mushroom stock by adding warm water to your dried mushrooms and leave them for 30mins – 1 hour**