Beef and Guinness Stew
Severs 6 – 8
1kg wagyu or angus diced beef
4 x carrots – roughly chopped
2 celery sticks – roughly chopped
2 white onions – roughly chopped
2 star anise (optional)
3 bay leaves
3 x cloves garlic – crushed
4 sprigs thyme
4 slices smoked bacon – diced
500ml beef stock
2 (440ml) cans Guinness
4 tbls plain flour
2 tbls chopped parsley
1 dried chili (optional)
2 tbsp oil
- Season meat and fry in batches on medium to high heat in 1 tbls oil until golden brown – approx 2 to 3 minutes
- Remove meat from pot and leave on clean plate.
- Fry bacon until brown and fat has rendered.
- Add carrots, celery, onion, star anise, bay, dried chili & garlic to pan. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes stirring regularly to lift the bits stuck to the pan.
- Add beef back into pan along with it’s juices.
- Add 800ml Guinness, stir and cook for 5 mins until simmering.
- Add beef stock & thyme. Cover and cook on low heat so stew is simmering for about 1 – 1.5 hours or until beef is tender.
- Mix flour with remaining Guinness to make a paste and stir into stew. Cook for another 20 minutes until sauce has thickened.
- Serve with some mashed potatoes and sprinkle with parsley to finish.
Order your Diced Wagyu Beef here